Monday, November 2, 2009

cocoon feedback

sorry if i'm a weirdo i just wanted to make sure i have a record of all your great feedback. thanks guys:

Ashlie: I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but 1) I am very proud of you, and 2) I can really see an underlying theme, idea, connection in your work. The idea of sheltering and home is apparent and also the idea of not knowing, just as the viewer was unsure of what lay within or around these strange "creatures", buildings, fungi, etc. I think this is fitting in your work, it seems like you enjoy addressing your need for control and your acceptance of your inability to control all things at all times. I also appreciated the duality in this piece... taking hard clay and giving it a soft, and wispy appearance. Also I enjoyed that you created an environment for what is essentially an environment itself. I have so much more to talk to you about concerning your future piece too... I think a lot of your ideas do run through all your work, you just don't realize it. Like doing pointless things to set your own mind at ease ( I am not being mean I love this). I don't want to give away what you are about to do so I will make sure I talk to you in person about this soon

liz: I just wanted to touch them! each time i saw them they just looked so desirable to touch. i really liked the contradiction between the rug and the cocoons. the cocoons have the illusion of looking soft but in reality are a very hard material, but the rug is very soft and comfortable and enhances the soft look altogether.

Elise- Interesting blue creatures, they make make me curious. But I am wondering what the presentation is about. Why are they laid out on a pedestal with the darker blue rug underneath? I think they could be very interesting and exciting with perhaps a different set up and surrounding. I am left asking why?

abbey:This piece was so much like cocoons, begging to be touched. This piece is a very light, fun experience. Like little cloud pills-take one and you'll feel light as a feather! The concept escapes me, I wish I had an explanation to go with the piece.

dani: Alex, I love how you have anthropomorphized your clay vessels (family). Its interesting how we can invest so much emotion into objects and draw correlations and connections from our own mortal existence. There is something extremely warm, and inviting about this piece- i think it comes from the tactile nature of the materials you used. One of the first things i did when I encountered your "family" was to touch them... indeed they were soft however they were also cold and after the initial touch a little hard. There is something tragically beautiful in this experience, and i think for me what also come from it is the fact that these are empty vessels. I couldn't help but think of a "loss" or a feeling of losing something/one.

contemplation:
we/they have the ability to hold so much within our/themselves. we/they are vessels filled with air... however i wonder what was in these/our vessels or what potentially could be held in our/their vessel.

however:
this maybe be some random rambling- though I think this was an extremely success piece because of your ability to engage a viewer (myself) in thought/conversation/dialogue

you rock girl! =) excited to see more!!!

esteban: Cocoons for sure, that I definetilly got from this piece. I would say the only thing that felt missing where the creatures that used to be inside this, or maybe just addressing the interior a little more. Also varying their height when displayed, just so they dont sit in the same plane and give a little more dinamic composition all together.
;)
PS: sorry for being so late and all

robin: Cotton Candy
-clash between our minds reading them as soft and fluffy, and the solidness of the clay makes the viewer long for confirmatino through another sense - touch
-loce that they are so touchable, breaks the wall between the viewer and the rules of the gallery one might find them in



No comments:

Post a Comment