Monday, April 26, 2010

without a sun

Garden artist statement:

I’ve recently been thinking a lot about the concept of memories. Specifically, fleeting moments that become life-changing and/or life-long memories. For me a shadow represents a distorted and fragmented memory. This phenomenon leads to thinking about the weirdness of shadows. In an attempt to answer my questions about the relationship between a shadow and a memory, I have knitted a tree shadow. For me knitting is the best way to work through my artistic concepts because of the repetition and patterns knitting requires. Like a cherished memory, any hand-made or knitted object creates a feeling of nostalgia, which has a significant personal meaning for me while making this piece.



alex phillips
"without a sun"
yarn & metal
84" x 48" x 2"
2010

No comments:

Post a Comment